The fabulous Fiona shares her wisdom. Thanks Fiona!
1. What is your name, age and favorite colour?
Fiona, 54, blue.
2. When did you know you wanted to become a midwife?
When I was working in paediatrics and could see the autonomy with which midwives work.
3. Where did you do your midwifery training? Why did you choose that particular uni/hospital?
Royal Hospital for Women, Paddington. Old stomping ground for general and paeds.
4. How long have you been a midwife? And what area of midwifery do you work in?
28 years. Delivery Suite.
5. Are you a mum? Whether you answered yes or no, do you think that has any affect on your practice as a midwife?
Yes, and yes it affects my practice as a midwife – puts everything into perspective (what is really important).
6. What is your favorite birthing memory?
My own! Or any delivery where a woman can push out an OP. [OP means occipito-posterior – baby facing forwards, rare]
7. Can you recall a time when you were most scared as a midwife?
8. What’s your birthing or midwifery philosophy?
Mother nature is the boss.
9. Do you think you’ll still be a midwife in 20 years?
10. What’s one thing you want every expectant mother to know?
Trust your instinct.
Oh, and chocolate is good for you…..